Wednesday 7 April 2010

Writings from Oman: An Interview with Hussein Al-Abri

Hussein al-Abri was born in Oman in 1972. Since 2000, he has published four novels Diazepam, Pinch, The Last Spoon, and Red and Yellow. He has also published a collection of short stories titled Windows, Sheets and Other Things. Al-Abri now lives in Muscat and works as a hospital physician .He talks to Beirut39 about discomfort and his role as a “public writer”.

What comforts you more – medicine or writing?

Nothing comforts me. Writing adds to or takes from my anxiety as the moment demands. Medicine makes me get closer to people and hate humanity as a result. I practice medicine in order to live. I write because it matters to others. I enjoy watching people’s responses to what I write. They get angry or happy about what I write; they make up good titles for me that I find strange, or tag my good name with wretched ones far from objectivity. The game of writing is what I find appealing. Yet words have meanings that stretch it far from being an entertainment tool. This is what infuriates me, that even as you entertain people and seduce them with the language, you fall victim to the “sticky” traps of meanings.

When did you start writing?

I started writing fairly late, during my sixth year at medical school. It was a form of escaping the harshness of the rigid education. I was a lot more mature than to fall in a trap of finding a new hobby. This is why I do not practice writing as an activity for my ego, but as a subject for myself. This is why I find this gap between me and writing; a gap which allows me to live peacefully. Yet, regardless of my pessimistic view, my admiration for satires, and the difficulty of ever please me: writing will not push me towards committing suicide, at least not in the upcoming ten years.

There is an absence of Omani novelists in the Arabic literature scene. What do you think is the problem?

Poetry was the dominating field of literature until not long ago, and then prose was introduced during the early 90s in the form of short stories. As of now, we are facing the renaissance of fiction/ novel writing. There exists a major shift by story writers and poets towards writing novels. The signs are clear and the product is near. One now must wait with legs crossed.

Who are some of the Arab writers who influenced you?

No one. I read Naguib Mahfouz and could not find myself in his writings and I did not test the waters of [Abdel Rahman] Munif. Tawfiq al-Hakim got me excited about certain subjects he discussed, yet his infatuation with the theater repelled me away from him. I am still bothered by [Abass Mahmoud] al-Aqqad, he still infuriates me with his confident tone. And the logic of Taha Hussein attracts me but the obsolete language he uses brings me back to myself. I could not relate to Jabra Ibrahim, nor the poetics of Ahlam Mustaghanmi. I read works for Abdo Khal, Jamal Ghaitani, Ibrahim al-Qa’id, Sonallah [Ibrahim], [Ibrahim] al-Koni, Ibrahim Abdul Majid, Huda Barakat…etc. I read some of it, I did not like what I did not complete, nor what I completed. Sometimes I think that if most Arabic novels (that I read of course) were turned into TV series then perhaps they would become better works.

I associate my admiration towards novels to translators who rekindled my enthusiasm with their beautiful translations. The truth is that few international novels attract me to reading them year after year. Albert Camus’ The stranger triggers in me the sense of human “sluggishness” reminding me of the hidden feelings which Dostoevsky mastered excavating. Nausea by [Jean-Paul] Sartre makes me lose meaning of this world. Lolita by Nabokov helped me regain my trust in poetry. I read parts of the Notebooks of Don Rigobert by [Mario Vargas] Llosa as well as the first chapter of the Novel Intruder in the Dust by [William Faulkner]. Of all Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s works I was most attracted to The General in His Labyrinth, and for no apparent reason, the same happened with the novel Slowness by [Milan] Kundera. All I do with the rest of his works is dissect them in order to reach his philosophical views.

Will this be your first time in Beirut? What are you anticipating from the Festival?

My first time was three years ago. I was there for a psychology medical exam. Just as I asked drivers to shut off the voice of Fairouz when she began singing Shatti ya dinni, skies showered with hail that reached my ear causing it to inflame. I became ‘disabled’. I remained in bed in front of the televisionfor a week. My inflamed ear made me look deaf and half crazy in front of other examiners. Perhaps that is what made them pity my state and have some compassion when they tested me. (Ultimately, they passed me.)

I lived a couple of blocks away from the sea. As my trip neared its end, I learned that I was staying at a hotel that meant “Liberty” in French, and a sudden feeling spread through me as I stood in front of the meaning of the word. The most beautiful thing I saw at that moment was a march by University students walking down the Cornice defending an issue regarding the environment. They marched down with their colorful outfits and loud music. At that moment I loved demonstrations, colorful clothes, loud music and the environmental issue. At that moment I loved humanity that spends some of its time for far-fetched and noble issues. I loved in them their abstraction.

I have no anticipations for the Beirut39 Festival. A few days ago I got to take a look at the schedule for the festival. Being slothful, I was shocked to see how often I have to stand in front of a podium to educate people about my “experience in writing” and my “philosophy in life” in front of defenseless people with no microphones. I would have been much comfortable had they given me a sofa while listening to what others have to say. That would have given me the sense of having actually “won a competition”. My life is divided between my computer that I use to type on, and my rotating chair I sit on when facing my patients, and, also, the coffee shop table that separates me from people and allows me to trace their behavior; however, standing on stages, taking over a microphone or standing in front of a camera – all that I find strange from my inner harmony.


ولد حسين العبري في العام 1972 في عمان. نشر حتى الآن ومنذ العام 2000 أربع روايات هي "ديازيبام" و" الوخز" و"المعلقة الأخيرة" و" الأحمر والأصفر"، و مجموعة قصص قصيرة بعنوان " نوافذ وأغطية وأشياء أخرى". يقطن الكاتب في مدينة مسقط حيث يعمل كطبيب في إحدى مستشفياتها.

ما الذي يبعث في نفسك الراحة أكثر من الآخر: الكتابة ام الطب؟

لا شيء يبعث الراحة في نفسي؛ الكتابة تزيد وتنقص من قلقي حسب مزاج اللحظة، ويزيد الطب من اقترابي من الناس فيجعلني أكره الإنسانية. أمارس الطب لكي أعيش وأفعل الكتابة لأنها تهم الآخرين، ويعجبني أن أرى الآخرين يقيمون ردود أفعالهم حول ما أكتب، فيغضبون ويفرحون وينعتوني بألقاب جيدة أجدها غريبة عني أو يلصقون صفات سيئة بشخصي الكريم خارجة عن الموضوعية: إن اللعبة في الكتابة هي التي تستهويني. بيد أن للكلمات معانٍ تخرجها عن دائرة أن تكون للتسلية فحسب، وإن ذلك ما يشعرني بالغيظ؛ فحتى وأنت تُمتِع الناس وتغويهم بالكلمات تقع في الفخاخ اللزجة التي للمعنى.

منذ متى بدأت الكتابة؟

بدأت الكتابة متأخرا نوعا ما ، حين كنت في السنة السادسة في كلية الطب.كان ذلك نوعا من الهروب من قسوة المادة العلمية. كنت حينها أكثر نضجا من ان أقع في شرك هواية جديدة. ولذا لا أعامل الكتابة كنشاط لأناي بل كموضوع لي. ولذا أجد دائما تلك الفجوة بيني وبين الكتابة، الفجوة التي تفسح لي العيش بسلام. ورغم تشاؤمية نظرتي وولعي بالسخرية وصعوبة إرضائي فلن تستطيع الكتابة دفعي للانتحار، على الأقل في العشر سنوات القادمة.

ما سبب تغيُّب الرواية العمانية برأيك؟

كان الشعر هو صاحب السطوة في عمان حتى فترة قصيرة ثم حل النثر في التسعينات وبداية الألفية ممثلا بالقصة القصيرة. الآن نحن على أعتاب نهضة الرواية. ثمة تحول ملحوظ في الآونة الأخيرة من قبل القاصين والشعراء إلى كتابة الرواية، العلامات واضحة والنتاج غدا قريبا، علينا فقط الانتظار ووضع رجل على أخرى.

مَن مِن الكتاب العرب كان له الأثر الأكبر في كتاباتك؟

لا أحد. قرأت لنجيب محفوظ ولم أجد نفسي في كتاباته، ولم أدخل في نطاق منيف، ورغم أن توفيق الحكيم كان يثير حماستي ببعض مواضيعه إلا أن تعلقه بالمسرح كان ينفرني منه. العقاد ما زال يغيظيني برنته الواثقة، ومنطقية طه حسين تجذبني لكن قدم لغته يرجعني إلى صوابي. لم أجد التعامل مع جبرا إبراهيم ولا مع شاعرية أحلام مستغانمي. قرأت أعمالا لعبده خال وجمال الغيطاني وابراهيم القعيد وصنع الله والكوني وابراهيم عبد المجيد وهدى بركات ولم أكمل بعضها ولم يعجبني ما أكلمت. أحيانا تنتابني فكرة أنه لو مُثِّلَتْ معظم الروايات العربية ، التي قرأتها بالطبع، في مسلسلات فلربما بدت أعمالا أفضل.

وأعزوحبي للراوية إلى المترجمين الذين ألهبوا حماستي بترجماتهم الجميلة. والحق أن ثمة روايات عالمية قليلة تشدني لقرءتها سنة بعد أخرى، فهناك الغريب لكامو التي تثير فيّ التبلد الإنساني وتذكّرني بالمشاعر الدفينة التي يجيد إخراجها ديستويفسكي، والغثيان لسارتر التي تفقدني المعنى في العالم، ولوليتا لنابكوف التي جعلتني أستعيد بعض يقيني بالشعر. أقرأ أحيانا بعض مقاطع من دفاتر دون ريجو بيرتو ليوسا، والفصل الأول من رواية الصخب والعنف لفوكو، ومن كل أعمال ماركيز تشدني روايته الجنرال في متاهة، ولم أتبين بعد سبب ذلك كما لم أتبين لماذا أحببت من أعمال كونديرا روايته البطء، وكل ما أفعله في رواياته الأخرى أنني اجتزئ الأحداث لأصل إلى تصوراته الفلسفية.

هل ستكون هذه المرة الأولى لك في بيروت؟ ما هي طموحاتك من خلال مشاركتك في مهرجان بيروت39؟

المرة الأولى كانت قبل ثلاث سنوات: قدمتُ من أجل امتحان التخصص في الطب النفسي، ومع أنني كنت أطلبُ من سائقي التكاسي أن يُسكِتوا فيروز حين تبدأ في غناء "شتي يا دنا"، إلا أن السماء مسوقةً، بأوامر من جهة أخرى، أمطرتْ وابلا من برد أصاب أذني فالتهبت، فكنت من المقعدين. فألزمتُ نفسي الفراش والتلفاز أسبوعا، وجعلتني أذني المصابة أبدو أمام الممتحنين نصف أصم وشبه أرعن، وربما ذلك ما جعلهم يشفقون على شخصي ويتلطفون في أسئلتهم لي ويُنجِحوني في نهاية المطاف. كنت أقطن قابي قوس من البحر، وفي نهاية إقامتي عرفت أنني كنت أسكن فندقا اسمه بالفرنسية "الحرية" فملأني شعور عارم مفاجئ بالمعنى. أجمل ما رأيت حينها مظاهرة أقامها طلبة جامعيون على خط الكورنيش لحماية أمر ما مفيد من أمور البيئة، كانوا إضافة إلى ألوان ملابسهم المزركشة يمشون على أصوات موسيقى صاخبة، فأحببت حينها المظاهرات والموسيقى الصاخبة والملابس الملونة وقضايا البيئة، وحين كنت أشاهدهم أعجبتُ فجأةً بالبشرية التي تصرف وقتها من أجل قضايا بعيدة وسامية، وأحببت فيهم التجريد.

ولا طموحات لي في مهرجان بيروت 39، لقد اطلعت قبل أيام على الأنشطة التي ستقام في المهرجان، ولأنني كسول نوعا ما فقد هالني أن أجد أنني بجب أن اعتلي المنصة مرات عديدة لألقي بـشيء من "خبرتي الكتابية" و"فلسفتي الحياتية" على مستعمين عُزَّل من الميكرفونات. كنت سأكون أكثر ارتياحا لو أنهم حددوا لي أريكة وثيرة أغرق فيها لأستمع إلى ما يقوله الآخرون. وكان ذلك سيشي بأنني فزت حقا في "مسابقة". إن جل تجربتي الحياتية تتوزع بين الحاسب الآلي الذي أكتب عليه، والكرسي الدوار الذي أجلس عليه مواجها مرضاي، وطاولة المقهى التي تفصلني عن الناس وتسمح لي باقتفاء سلوكهم، أما الوقوف في المنصات وانتضاء الميكرفونات والوقوف أمام الكاميرات فذلك ما أجده نشازا في موسيقاي الداخلية.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to get in contact with Hussein al-Abri for a research project about Omani literature. Does anyone have his contact info?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to do a good research to write a good essay. If not, the essay can be flopped. https://oman.thesiswritingservice.com/ is a good place to start the research.

    ReplyDelete