Thursday 17 December 2009

Dialogue: Letters from Morocco


This week, we speak exclusively with two Beirut39 writers from Morocco: Abderrarhim ElKhassar, who was born in 1975, and the 36-year-old Abdalleh Taia.

Shortlisted twice for the prestigious French Prix Renaudot, Abdellah Taia is the first Moroccan and Arab writer publicly to declare his homosexuality. Taia has published five books written in French, (most of which are inspired by his life) and although much of his work centres around his own experiences as a gay Arab man Taia did not publicly declare his sexuality until he wrote a letter to his mother, which was published in the Moroccan press.

His coming-of-age story, The Wounded Man, is about a young man who is invigorated by his desires while watching Patrice Chereau’s The Wounded Man. The film was written by Herve Guibert, who would later die from AIDS, a man infamous for his quirky publicity stunts and intimate relationships, among the notable was Michel Foucault, a renowned theorist known for his critical studies on madness and social institutions.

Interviewed by Sousan Hammad

Beirut39: Where were you when Herve Guibert died?

Abdellah Taia: The French writer, Hervé Guibert, died on December 27th, 1991. I was 17 at the time, living with my poor and big family in the Moroccan town of Salé (near the capital Rabat.) It was my baccalauréat year. I didn't really know – at that time – about Hervé Guibert. I discovered his work in 1993 and I immediately fell in love with his way of writing from his life, his way of using words in French. I loved that he constantly put his life in books. And I adored that he betrayed so many people by revealing their secrets in his books...

In 1991 I was dreaming about cinema, I wanted to be a filmmaker. Literature was not an obsession or a target...

In 1991 I was weird: that's what my brothers and sisters used to call me. Of course, for them, it's not a good thing to be "weird". Today, I am happy I was like that. I want to stay weird, weird as Hervé Guibert...

In 1991 I knew that I was homosexual. I didn't tell anyone. I was waiting for the right time to free myself from the violence the individual is forced to live with in the Arab world. I was homosexual: it was not easy of course. But I used this difference to see the world differently, to connect with it differently... Hervé Guibert and his ghost-djinn helped me. The French movie star Isabelle Adjani (I always adored her) helped me too...

In 1991 I was immersed in Arabic words. I hated the French language because it was used by the rich people in Morocco to separate themselves from us, to humiliate us. French was the language for the Moroccan elite, those who abandoned us in our poverty...

Today, I write in the French language. I became a traitor, me too.

Sex, Love, Death – these are some of the recurring themes in your short story. The late French writer Jean Genet made a film in 1953 titled A Song of Love, which, like Herve Guibert’s screenplay, contained artistic, erotic homosexual content. What are your thoughts on Genet?

Jean Genet will one day become a saint in the Arab world. Maybe he is one already. He is buried in the Moroccan town of Larache. In 2010 we will celebrate the 100th year of his birth.

Jean Genet influenced the Moroccan writer Mohamed Choukri, the author of For Bread Alone; this novel, written in a scandalous and beautiful Arabic, influenced so many young Arab writers.

Jean Genet is someone I admire not only for his powerful and poetic style but also for his political work. He was brave. He talked about the poor people, about the repression. He used his literary legitimacy as an arm. He was in the world, here, in the reality of the world, and not, like so many intellectuals in the Arab world, living on the moon.

Jean Genet was a fighter. He talked frankly about all the truths, including, of course, the sexual truths. He was respected because of that honesty and that fight.

I published two short stories about him.

Would you agree that cinema influences your creative work? Would you ever (if not already) consider filmmaking?

Yes. I am more influenced by cinema than by books. I think more about Salah Abou Seif, Elia Kazan, Nicholas Ray, Youssef Chahine, etc., than about the writers. My way of writing is cinematic. I feel that I don't write books but films. There's a confusion in my head. A craziness. Is that good?

I have already written screenplays for cinema, like La Senora - I worked on it with the French screenwriter Louis Gardel.

Since childhood, my dream was to be a filmmaker. I am still writing because that dream is still alive in me. More than alive.

Religion, too, is a setting in your story. Could it be that the character’s sexual rediscovering was also an awakening, or pledge, to his rebellion from religion?

I am Muslim; Muslim because I was born in Morocco, an Islamic country. I have in me Islam as a culture, as a taste, as something strong I was living in, and I can't escape from it. Islam is my mother. It's the way my mother reinvented it, the way she put something of her in it.

I don't recognize myself in the way the Muslim people live today in this religion. They made it a fashion thing, something poor, without any cultural profound meaning. Islam, like I saw my mother practicing it, is not to be afraid of what the other people would say. I love my mother. She is not only "a good person". She is complicated. An angel. A devil. A dictator. A sorcerer. I am influenced by all these aspects of her personality. And, most of all, I like the way she screams.

I think we should all scream today in the Arab World. Enough is enough. The famous painting "The Scream", by Edvard Munch, is one of my favorite pictures.


عبد الله الطايع هو اول كاتب عربي و مغربي يشهر مثليته الجنسية بصراحة. أختير الكاتب مرتين للحصول على جائزة الـ "رينودو" (Renaudot) الفرنسية المرموقة. نشر الطايع خمسة كتب بالفرنسية جلها مستوحاة من حياته التي عاشها و التي تتمركز حول تجربته كعربي مثلي الجنس. لم يعلن الكاتب عن ميوله الجنسية حتى أرسل ببرقية الى والدته نشرت في الصحف المغاربية.

قصته القصيرة "الرجل الجريح" أو "The Wounded Man" تتمحور حول حكاية نشوء رغباته و جوامحه بينما كان يشاهد الفيلم الفرنسي الذي يحمل ذات العنوان. كتب الكتاب "آرفيه جيبير" و الذي توفى بمرض الإيدز. ذلك الكاتب الذي إشتهر بنزواته الشهيرة و علاقاته الحميمية مع المنُنظِر ميشيل فوكو.

قابلته سوسن حماد

اين كنت حين توفي آرفيه جيبير؟

توفي الكاتب آرفيه جيبير في السابع عشر من كانون الأول (ديسمبر) من العام 1991. كنت في السابعة عشر من عمري آنذاك و كنت أعيش مع عائلة كبيرة و فقيرة في بلدة سلا المغربية القريبة من العاصمة الرباط. كان عام الباكلوريا الثانوية بالنسبة لي, و لم أكن قد سمعت آنذاك بـِ آرفيه جيبير. إكتشفت أعماله في عام 1993 و همت عشقا بأسلوب كتابته حول حياته و بالأسلوب الذي إنتقاءه للكلمات بالفرنسية. أعجبني كيف كان يضع حياته في كتبه مرارا, و كيف كان يخون الجميع بإفتضاح أسرارهم في كتبه.

في العام 1991 كنت احلم بالسينما, و كنت أريد أن اصبح مخرجا سينمائيا. لم يكن الادب لا هدفا و لا هوسا بالنسبة لي... في العام 1991 كنت أعد غريب الاطوار: على الاقل هذا ما وصمني به إخوتي و أخواتي. بالطبع, لم تكن الكنية أمرا جيدا بالنسبة لهم, و لكنني اليوم سعيد بأنني كنت كذلك آنذاك. في العام 1991 كنت أدرك بانني مُثلي الجنس. و لكنني لم اخبر أحدا. كنت أترقب الوقت المناسب لأفك قيدي من العنف الذي يتعرض له المرء في العالم العربي. كنت مُثلي الجنس و لم يكن ذلك بالأمر الهين. و لكنني إستغللت هذا الفارق لكي أرى العالم من منظور آخر, لكي أرتبط معه بشكل مغاير.

آرفيه جيبير و شبحه (جِنّه أو قرينه) ساعدني. و كذلك الممثلة الفرنسية الشهيرة إيزابيل أدجاني ( و التي لطالما عشقت) ساعدتني كذلك. في العام 1991 كنت أكتب بالعربية. و كنت أكره اللغة الفرنسية لأنها كانت لغة الطبقة الثرية في المغرب و التي من خلالها إستطاعوا أن ينأوا جابا عنّا, لإذلالنا. اللغة الفرنسية كانت لغة المجتمع الراقي, أولئك الذين هجرونا لفقرنا... و اليوم أكتب بالفرنسية. أصبحت خائنا أنا أيضا.

الجنس و الحب و الموت, هذه بعض من المواضيع التي تتكرر في قصتك القصيرة. الكاتب الفرنسي الراحل جان جينيه صنع بالعام 1935 فيلما بعنوان " قصيدة حب", مثلها كمثل نص آرفيه جيبير, إحتوت على عناصر فنية و إيروتيكيه مُثليه. هات بعضا من آرائك حول جينيه؟

قد يصبح جان جينيه يوما قديسا في العالم العربي, او ربما هو كذلك الآن بالفعل. دُفن في مقبرة ببلدة العرائش المغربية و سنحتفل بالعام 2010 بمرور مئة عام على ميلاده.

أثّر جان جينيه بأدب الكاتب المغربي محمد شكري, مؤلف "الخبز الحافي", و هي رواية كتبت بلغة فائقة الجمال و "فضائحية" و أثرت في كتابات العديد من المواهب الشابة و ليس بالمغرب وحده فحسب.

أعشق جان جينيه و ليس ذلك فقط لأداءه القوي و الشعري, و لكن لأعماله السياسية كذلك. كان قويا, حكى عن الفقراء و عن القمع. إستغل منصبه الأدبي كأداة لذلك. كان يعيش بين الناس و على الارض و ليس كما حال العديد من الكتاب في العالم العربي الذين يعيشون في أبراج عاجية. جينيه كان محاربا, حكى بصراحة عن كل الحقائق بما في ذلك الحقائق الجنسية. يكن له الناس الإحترام بسبب ذلك الصدق و تلك المعارك التي حارب.

نشرت قصتين قصيرتين تحكيان عنه.

هل توافق المقولة التى تعتبر أعمالك الأدبية متأثرة بالسينما؟ هل فكرت او تفكر بإخراج فيلم سينمائي؟

نعم. أنا متأثر بالسينما اكثر من تاثري بالكتب. أسماء مثل صلاح ابو سيف, او إيليا كازان او نيكولاس ريي او يوسف شاهين, الخ, تحضر ذاكرتي اكثر من أسماء الكتاب. أكتب بأسلوب سينمائي. أكتب أفلاما لا كتبا. هناك تضارب ما في رأسي, جنون إن صح القول, أذلك بالأمر الجيد؟

بالفعل, كتبت نصوصا للسينما مثل "السنيور" و التي كتبتها بالإشتراك مع لويس غارديل.

منذ طفولتي كان حلمي أن أصبح مخرجا سينمائيا. لا زلت اكتب لان حلمي ما فتأ هو نفسه حيا, و اكثر من حي.

الدين كذلك يعتبر عنصرا حاضرا في أدبك. أنستطيع القول بأن إعادة إكتشاف الشخص لذاته الجنسية بمثابة صحوة أو إلتزام بتحرره من الدين؟

أنا مسلم. مسلم لأنني ولدت كذلك في المغرب, و هي دولة إسلامية. الإسلام هو ثقافتي, و هو ذوقي, شئ ما قوي كنت أعيشه و لا أستطيع الهروب منه. الإسلام هو أمي, هو كيف كانت تعيشه امي و كيف أعادت إكتشافه و تصنيعه من ذاتها.

لا أرى نفسي بذات الأسلوب الذى يراه غيري من المسلمين الذين يعيشون الإسلام كدين. لقد حولوا الإسلام الى علامة من الذوق, شئ ما بائس بلا قيمة ثقافية محسوسة. الإسلام كما رأيت امي تزاوله, لم يكن يستدعي الخوف مما سيحكيه الناس. أحب أمي, لم تكن إنسانا صالحا فحسب, بل كانت مليئة بالتعقيدات كذلك. كانت ملاكا, شيطانا, ديكتاتورة, مشعوذة. لقد تأثرت بكل هذة المواصفات من شخصيتها. و أحب فيها أكثر من اي شيء أسلوبها بالصراخ.

أعتقد بأن على الجميع في العالم العربي الصراخ اليوم. كفى! لوحة الفنان إدفارد منش الشهيرة, الصرخة, هي إحدى لوحاتي المفضلة.



No comments:

Post a Comment