Thursday 17 December 2009

Dialogue: Letters from Morocco - Part 2


A Moroccan Amazigh, an aboriginal people from the west and south of Egypt, Abderrahim Elkhassar has published three books of poetry. Amazigh is a nostalgic poem about the prehistoric civilization of the Berbers (a term, by the way, that means ‘barbarians’) whose identity is becoming increasingly degenerative. ElKhassar’s poem is a story that counters all the stories, the poet says, that are written about the Amazigh culture.

Interviewed by Sousan Hammad

Beirut39: Can you tell us about the nature of your poem in the general setting?

Abderrahim Elkhassar: The largest portion of my life is, perhaps, overtaken by poetry. My life is fairly empty, and poetry alone fills the gap; this is the near-reality.

When I was a child, I used to create string instruments from the scraps at my father’s workshop. I would dream of becoming a musician. I kept on dreaming this for years to come. However, in my small village, there was no music conservatory, and no one played the Oud or the Violin.

I realized finally that this dream will never become a reality, so I started writing poetry; perhaps, this is why you find an abundance of music in my literary pieces: I compensate for a long-gone deprivation.

However, the relationship between what I write and this world is very clear: It is found in it. I do nothing more than pouring my own life on paper: my dreams, my passions, my fear, the roads I passed, the faces that I loved, the moments that I lived and the entire forecast of my life. Nevertheless, when I write I blind myself from looking but inside of myself.

In your poem, you speak about the rich storytelling you were immersed in as an adolescent. Perhaps you could share one of those tales?

I was never interested in the imaginary tales that grandmothers tell to their grandchildren in order to put them to sleep. Since my childhood, I wanted to stay awake and never go to bed. Until this day I am still fond of staying up late at night.

What I wanted to hear were the real stories. The true ones that my ancestors had lived, most importantly, the story of how my grandfather and his brother, members of the Ayat Imran Imazighen Tribe, had evacuated their southern home to the center of the country.

In 1925, fleeing starvation, those two young Imazighen men found themselves on their way towards the highlands of the coastal town of Safi, the pirate town. There, on the foothills of the town, the two young men thought of ways to start a new life, they only spoke Imazighen, one of those two was to be my grandfather; then he got involved with a young cook who worked at the “Bosonia” corner.

This cook would give birth in 1938 to my father. My father would marry a young woman called Halima Az-Zahry, the daughter of a wise man called Al-Arabi Az-Zahri. Her mother was Habiba Al-Majiri, an affiliate of “Al-Majiri” corner, (who commemorates Sheikh Abu Muhammad Saleh, whose tomb is found in Safi, found precisely on the ocean waters, near the “Saffina” coffeeshop, where I sit to write my poetry).

I am the grandson of the “Corners”, this strange mix that made me compelled to write about identity, not the same identity that professors and chairmen complicate, but the identity as a poet puts it.

You live in a sense of passion and nostalgia towards civilizations that lived and left its footprints around your environment. Give us your thoughts on the current situation and conditions of the Berber in post-colonial Morocco.

How do you connect the indigenous tribes of the Mayans and Assyrians, which you write about in your poem, with the historic struggle of the Berbers?

I am a champion for minorities. I do not carry their slogans nor do I walk in demonstrations for them. All I can offer them are my good feelings.

The Native Americans, in my opinion, are much more important than this chaos found in modern America. In Morocco we do not have Berbers, those are found in colonialist novels.

What we have in Morocco are the Imazighens. I reject the term Berber for its association with the meaning “Barbarian”. Barbarism is found in those countries that are a bit more advanced, especially when it loses its humanity on its path towards a more refined being.

As for how I see the Imazighen history, my own specifically, I have expressed in a poem that I titled “The Imazighen”, which is published under my second collection “Look, and Only Look”.

I am flattered, really, that they have chosen this specific piece as part of the narration of Beirut39. This is the prologue:

I am the scion of the ancient Imazighen king

He, who died betrayed by a stab from a Roman hand

My desire is to kindle fire from ice,

To build traps for birds which never touch the ground.

I sometimes plot to catch a fish then return it back to the river,

Standing against the current, waiting, I delude myself of catching it someday.

I sometimes it occurs to me to open cages on the roof

and set free those birds, which I have wasted years away nourishing.

Finally, what do you anticipate from the Beirut39 Festival?

Aside from poetry, I do not have much to ask for. This will be my first time in Beirut, the same Beirut which I fell in love with through the many poetry collections, the few romantic movies, even lesser number of novels, and songs which have always filled my home.

قابلته سوسن حماد

ما هي طبيعة القصيدة, من ناحية الجو العام وموقف الشاعر؟

القصيدة، تكاد تشكل أكبر ما يوجد في حياتي، لأن حياتي إلى حد ما فارغة، و الشعر هو ما يغمرها، هذه هي الحقيقة تقريبا، في طفولتي كنت أصنع آلات وترية من بقايا ورشة الأب، و أحلم أن أصير عازفا، بقيت أحلم طوال سنوات، في قريتي لم يكن هناك معهد للموسيقى، و لا أحد يعزف على العود أو الكمان، أيقنت أن هذا الحلم لن يتحقق، لذلك بدأت أكتب الشعر، و ربما هذا هو السبب في وجود الموسيقى بوفرة داخل نصوصي، إنها تعويض عن حرمان قديم.

أما عن علاقة نصوصي بالعالم، فهي توجد فيه، هذا أمر جليّ، لكنني لا أفعل شيئا سوى أنني أدلق حياتي على الورق، أحلامي و هواجسي و مخاوفي، و الطرق التي عبرت منها، و الوجوه التي أحببتها، و الحالات التي عشتها، و كل ما يتعلق بتقلبات أحوال الطقس في سمائي، غير أني حين أكتب هذه الأمور أغض الطرف عن العالم و أنظر إلى داخلي.

من المؤكد أنك نشأت وترعرعت في محيط غني بالقصص والروايات التي تحكى من قبل الأجداد والمسنين، ياحبذا لو تشاركنا إحدى هذه القصص؟

لم أكن معنيا بالقصص الخيالية التي ترويها الجدات للصبيان كي يناموا، لم أكن أريد النوم، منذ طفولتي و أنا أحب أن أبقى صاحيا، و لا زلت إلى يومنا هذا مولعا بالسهر، ما كنت أحب أن أسمعه هو الحكي الحقيقي، أي القصص الواقعية التي عاشها أسلافي، و لعل أهمها هو تاريخ نزوح جدي رفقة أخيه من قبائل آيت باعمران الأمازيغية جنوب المغرب نحو الوسط، ففي عام 1925 و هروبا من المجاعة وجد شابان أمازيغيان نفسيهما على الطريق باتجاه هضاب مدينة آسفي الساحلية،مدينة القراصنة، و هناك في إحدى بوادي المدينة بدآ التفكير في شكل جديد للعيش، لم يكونا يعرفان سوى اللغة الأمازيغية، أحدهما كان جدي، أو على الأرجح سيصير جدي، حين ارتبط بفتاة من البادية كانت تعمل كطباخة في الزاوية البوسونية، وستلد هذه الفتاة سنة 1938 الكائن الذي سيصير أبي، و سيتزوج أبي عمر شابة اسمها حليمة الزاهري وهي ابنة رجل حكيم يسمى العربي الزاهري أما أمها فهي حبيبة الماجري، و هي تنتسب للزاوية الماجرية التي قطبها هو الشيخ أبو محمد صالح الذي يوجد ضريحه في مدينة آسفي ، و تحديدا على حافة المحيط الأطلسي قريبا من مقهى السفينة التي أحب أن أجلس فيها صباحا لأكتب قصائدي.

يبدو أنني حفيد زوايا، و هذه الخلطة العجيبة هي التي جعلت مني اليوم شاعرا مهووسا بحكاية الهوية، ليست الهوية كما ينظر لها أساتذة الجامعة و الكراسي، خصوصا أولئك الذين يعقدون الأمور البسيطة، و إنما الهوية كما يعيشها شاعر.

يبدو أنك تعيش حالة من التلهف والحنين تجاه الحضارات المختلفة التي عاشت وتركت بصمتها في محيطك, كالمايا والآشوريين, ما هو رأيك فيما آلت إليه أحوال وواقع حياة البربر في تاريخ المغرب الحديث, وكيف يمكن أن تربط ما بين ذلك كله وبين تلك الصراعات التاريخية؟

أنا نصير أقليات، لا أحمل من أجلهم شعارات و لا أمشي في مظاهرات، كل ما أملكه لهم هو أحاسيسي الطيبة، فالهنود الحمر مثلا في نظري أهم بكثير من كل هذا الضجيج الذي يوجد اليوم في أمريكا، بالنسبة للمغرب لا يوجد هناك بربر، البرابرة يوجدون في رواية لكويتزي، أما الذين يوجدون في المغرب فهم الأمازيغيون، طبعا لا أقبل كلمة بربر، لأنها تعني المتوحشين، و عليه فالبربرية قد توجد أحيانا في الدول الأكثر تقدما، خصوصا حين تغض الطرف الإنساني و هي تتقدم على رفات هذه الإنسانية.

أما رؤيتي للحكاية الأمازيغية، و لحكايتي تحديدا، فقد عبرت عنها في نص شعري لي عنوانه "الأمازيغي" و هو منشور في ديواني الثاني "أنظر و أكتفي بالنظر" ، و من الجميل حقا أنهم اختاروا هذا النص بالضبط لينشر ضمن أنطولوجيا بيروت 39، و هذا هو المقطع الأول منه:

أنا حفيد الملك الأمازيغي القديم

الذي مات غدرا بطعنة من أيدي الرومان

هوايتي أن أضرم النار في الجليد

و أبني المصائد لطيور لا تصل الأرض

يخطر لي أحيانا أن أخرج سمكة من النهر ثم أعيدها إليه

و أقف عكس التيار أنتظر موهما نفسي أني سأصطادها يوما ما

يخطر لي أحيانا أن أفتح أقفاصا في السطح

و أطلق العصافير التي أفنيت سنوات في رعايتها.

وأخيراَ, ماالذي تتطلع إليه من خلال مهرجان بيروت 39؟

خارج الشعر لا أطلب كثيرا، لكنها المرة الأولى التي سأزور فيها بيروت، طبعا بيروت التي أحببتها عبر دواوين شعر كثيرة، و أفلام حب قليلة و روايات أقل، و أغان كانت ولا زالت تملأ بيتي.

No comments:

Post a Comment